The history of the 1st Experimental
Unified Lyceum of Athens, “Gennadio”, coincides chronologically with
the first pages of history of independence of Greece.
1827 the National Assembly named Ioannis Kapodistrias as the first Governor of
Greece for a period of seven years.
Kapodistrias invested himself seriously into Public Education. In 1828 he
founded the “Central School” in Egina, a school for the first teachers to be
in the newly established Greek State.
This Central School
under the direction of important and famous teachers, like Gennadios, was
flourishing up to the year 1831, when Kapodistrias was assassinated. After the
assassination and the transfer of the capital of the Greek State into Athens,
the Central School along with its valuable bibliotheque were settled into the
house of Kleanthis in Plaka in 1935, where a year later the Athens University
was established, nowadays called the “Old University”.
In 1838 the Central
School stopped functioning as a school for teachers only and became a normal
school of the primary and secondary education under the name of “Greek
School” and the direction of George Gennadios, The Greek School and its famous
bibliotheque move constantly within the area of Plaka and the school changes its
status according to the educational necessities and reforms of the times.
the 1st Lyceum of Athens functions as a mixed lyceum for both boys
and girls, while in 1993 its teachers decided to name it “Gennadion Lyceum”
in honor of Geοrge Gennadios, who was actually a real
Teacher, a daring person deeply inspired from the Greek ideas.